1. Do you accept mattresses?
We do not accept mattresses. Contact Bye Bye Mattress for free mattress recycling.
2. Does Goodwill offer Community Service opportunities?
At this time we do not have Community Service opportunities. If you have court-ordered community service hours to complete, you may be able to find opportunities through HandsOn San Diego.
3. Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes, your donation is 100% tax deductible.
Goodwill will provide you with a receipt that indicates the number of boxes or bags per category or lists larger, bulky items in general terms. We suggest that you make a detailed list of the items that you donate, along with any original purchase receipts or appraisals to keep in your files along with your receipt from Goodwill.
Please keep your donation receipt in a safe place, we do not have a system in place that allows for Goodwill to provide replacement receipts.
IRS regulations require that the donor be the one to determine the “fair market” value of the donation using purchase receipts or some method of calculating the value at resale. This fair market value is what you would be able to obtain for the item(s) if you sold them yourself, or they were sold in a thrift store or consignment shop. Under existing law, Goodwill cannot provide legal or tax advice, or assess the value of the items you are donating. We suggest that you contact your tax preparer for clarification and guidance.
4. Will I get a receipt for my donation?
A receipt will be given to you when you donate.
5. What can I do if I donated something by accident?
Follow this link and complete the donation in error form. The sooner you notify us, the greater chance we have to locate your item. Even though we do our very best to find your donation, product moves very quickly and we cannot promise to find it. We appreciate your understanding and are thankful for your support.
6. Due to federal and state laws, safety concerns, and recycling guidelines, donations of the following categories of household hazardous waste items cannot be accepted:
- Weapons and Ammunition
- Explosives and Fireworks
- Charcoal, Wood, Lighters and Fluid
- Light Bulbs and Batteries
- Fuels: Oils (and Used Filters), Gasoline, Propane
- Automotive Fluids (i.e. Radiator Fluid)
- Pesticides and Fertilizers
- Pool Chemicals
- Mercury Items (i.e. Thermometers)
- Electronic Devices with Broken or Cracked Screens
- Paints, Stains, Varnish and Paint Remover/Thinner
- Aerosol and Pressurized Canisters (i.e. Propane Tanks)
- Cleaning Products
- Used Cosmetics and Toiletries
- Pharmaceuticals: Over the Counter and Prescription
- Medical Sharps (i.e. Used Syringes)
7. Can I donate my hazardous materials to Goodwill?
We do not accept hazardous materials. Please follow this link to learn how you can dispose of your hazardous materials properly.
8. Who pays for the Goodwill Community Employment Centers and their services in San Diego?
The Community Employment Centers and their services receive 100 percent of their funding from our Retail Stores, Outlets and Clearance Center revenue. Thank you to our donors and shoppers for supporting our Mission.